[Kictanet] ICTs-4-MDGs presentation

meldon at symphony.co.ke meldon at symphony.co.ke
Fri Apr 15 17:34:38 EAT 2005

You're right: with a champion everything is possible; without one nothing
is.
We hope we'll find one in the Rotary world... but even the finding of the
champion takes time and energy!
With our teambuilding centre. The DEPOT, we are making some headway through
the CSR route, as a way of leveraging/replicating a proven approach.

Regards

Mike Eldon

             "Brightwater"
             <brightwater at afri
             caonline.co.ke>                                            To
                                       <meldon at symphony.co.ke>
             04/13/2005 04:13                                           cc
             PM                        <andrew at aitecafrica.com>, "Kenya
                                       ICT Policy - kictanet"
                                       <kictanet at kictanet.or.ke>,
                                       <povertyreduction at arcc.or.ke>,
                                       <twillard at iisd.ca>,
                                       <evelynmungai at evelyncol.com>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [Kictanet] ICTs-4-MDGs
                                       presentation

My recent experience with setting up Starehe Girls' Centre is that one
needs
a champion for a project such as this. In your case you initiated Cura and
then had a group from the Rotary and the community to move it forward. In
the case of SGC we have had Dr. Eddah Gachukia leading a number of us -
mainly "girls" that work on a pro bono basis. This group split into
committees, takes responsibility for moving decisions on planning,
fundraising, recruitment etc forward. Our experience is that Corporate
bodies are willing to engage with such initiatives but prefer to take
"chunks" that are aligned to their own stated CSR areas or core business If
one takes this approach and as long as it is seen as genuine the corp.
fraternity seems happy to engage.

Regards
Bella