[kictanet] Challanges facing Mpesa Agents

Chris Foster cgfoster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 14:49:08 EAT 2011

I think there also a more general point here, that M-Pesa agents carry
quite a lot of risk in terms of the product.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand, losses in operation
- whether that be genuine errors by agents typing in a mobile number, or
criminality such as SMS scams, fake money and kiosk robbery - always
results in loss to the agents' enterprise and not to the wider M-Pesa
operation.

And it is probably fair to say that such agent risks are only going to
increase as services offered get more complex and volumes increase (i.e.
M-Kesho, increases in maximum Pesa transfer).

How can such risks be reduced? Certainly having a more responsive
customer service is one factor, something that Safaricom have been
talking about of late....But there may also be other approaches: agent
insurance, recommended procedures or policy which might also be crucial
in reducing such risks.

Chris

--
Christopher Foster
PhD Researcher, Centre for Development Informatics (CDI)

Skype: cgfoster
@cgfoz