[kictanet] Out sourcing; where does Kenya stand

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 3 20:37:45 EAT 2010

Hi,

As Edwin says we need to see more than just lip service from the GOK, I have
also mentioned before that we need to see action such as a single toll free 0800
number to reach all government offices and agencies.   This will mean that the
GOK puts up a contact centre, standardise their websites so that there is a
level of harmonisation on how information is presented.

The National Data Centre recently advertised for in the press recently is a move
in the right direction but we need to see more.  For BPO is take route we need
to generate 80% of the business locally, the foreign component is called the
icing on the cake, eating icing alone can load to all kinds of problems like
took decay, as it goes straight to the bottom line as the local contracts
already meet the operations overhead.

As I wrote before and I repeat again Kenya is the ideal destination for
provision of BPO services to companies and governments in the East African
region.  I wish we can be able to convince companies like Orange/Telkom and
Nairobi water to outsource some of their functions.

As a country we started the BPO business on the wrong footing which is why the
players in the industry kept crying about costs of international bandwidth,
providing outsourcing services to Kenya Power or Min, of Communications does not
require international connectivity, just an efficient peering point.

It is myopic to think that we can take highly educated Kenyan graduates, unless
it is during the pre graduation period, and have them work in the BPO sector
unless you are confirming that our degrees are equivalent to an "O"
level Cambridge certificate.  If that is the government's strategy then forget
2030, we might as well just call the joint leaders of the UK together with the
Queen and hand over our sovereignty as we shall be continuing the
back peddling that  began in 1963.  We for a short while enjoyed a forward
movement based on the momentum we had but soon after the gradient has been
taking toll.

All the leading BPO destinations apply the pareto rule which is why Indian
companies can counter the USA directive about re-shoring of BPO services by
setting up in the USA, this is only possible because of the local business in
India.  I ask you to read the book Bangalore Tigers to get a better
understanding on what it takes to profit from the BPO business it is very
different from calling tourists to see animals in the wild that we have never
even feed.

Where does Kenya stand? Dead in the water (please lets call a spade and spade)

Regards
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor