[kictanet] Should We Reserve a Slot for an ICT Professional Within the IEBC Commission??

Benson Muite benson_muite at emailplus.org
Sat Sep 10 21:30:00 EAT 2022

As indicated in [0] late budget allocations, inadequate financing and
possibly inefficient use of funds are problems that faced the IEBC.
These would be compounded by weak governance.  The report [0] does
support having one of the commissioners responsible for ICT/technology
aspects.  Possibly having each of the commissioners primarily
responsible for particular aspects of the IEBC mandate would be helpful
in streamlining governance - Manahodha wengi chombo huenda mrama!  The
text of the preliminary ruling is not available at [1] with many
download sections giving 404 not found.

The reports [0], [2] and [3], and the theses [4], [5] and [6] indicate
that civic education is also important.  The report [7] has examples of
good public participation in creating bills, though as indicated in [4],
more use of ICT would enable more people to contribute as the baraza
model needs updating.

0)
https://www.cartercenter.org/resources/pdfs/news/peace_publications/election_reports/kenya/2022/kenya-preliminary-report-2022.pdf
1) https://www.judiciary.go.ke
2)
https://www.statelaw.go.ke/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Kenya-Draft-Policy-on-Public-Participation.pdf
3)
https://www.kictanet.or.ke/mdocs-posts/2022-kictanet-preliminary-election-observation-report/
4)
http://erepository.uonbi.ac.ke/bitstream/handle/11295/108760/Munyao_The%20Influence%20Of%20Public%20Participation%20On%20Public%20Accountability%20In%20Kenya.pdf
5)
http://erepository.uonbi.ac.ke/bitstream/handle/11295/90180/Nyotah_Public%20Participation%20in%20the%20Selection%20of%20Public%20Officers%20A%20Critical%20Analysis%20of%20the%20Mechanisms%20Under%20the%20Leadership%20and%20I~1.pdf
6)
https://ir-library.ku.ac.ke/bitstream/handle/123456789/19636/Effects%20of%20public%20participation.pdf
7)
https://www.kictanet.or.ke/mdocs-posts/public-participation-an-assessment-of-recent-ict-policy-making-processes-in-kenya/