[kictanet] Should We Reserve a Slot for an ICT Professional Within the IEBC Commission??

Benson Muite benson_muite at emailplus.org
Sat Sep 10 10:28:42 EAT 2022

Currently the selection panel consists of:
 > (a) two men and two women nominated by the Parliamentary Service
 > Commission;
 > (b) one person nominated by the Law Society of Kenya; and
 > (c) two persons nominated by the Inter-religious Council of Kenya.

The IEBC mandate[0] is:

     The continuous registration of voters and revision of the voter'roll;
     The delimitation of constituencies and wards;
     The regulation of political parties process;
     The settlement of electoral disputes;
     The registration of candidates for elections;
     Voter education;
     The facilitation of the observation, monitoring and evaluation of
elections;
     The regulation of money spent by a candidate or party in respect of
any election;
     The development of a code of conduct for candidates and parties;
     The monitoring of compliance with legislation on nomination of
candidates by parties.

In addition to the Institution of Engineers of Kenya[1] (technical
aspects of elections), some other relevant bodies are :
- The Institution of Surveyors of Kenya[2] (delimitation of
constituencies and wards)
- The Teachers Service Commission[3] (voter education)
- Media Council of Kenya[4] (voter education, monitoring)

The performance of the IEBC in technical, education and public
information has been substandard.  The current selection process does
guarantee inclusion of representatives that can evaluate the
effectiveness of the commission in all areas relevant to its mandate.

As such the act could be amended to have a selection panel composed of:
(a) two persons nominated by the Parliamentary Service Commission;
(b) one person nominated by the Law Society of Kenya;
(c) two persons nominated by the Inter-religious Council of Kenya;
(d) one person nominated by the Institution of Engineers of Kenya;
(e) one person nominated by the Institution of Surveyors of Kenya;
(f) one person nominated by the Teachers Service Commission; and
(g) one person nominated by the Media Council of Kenya.

This would increase the members of the selection panel by two people to
9, and have an associated increase in costs, but a more effective IEBC
would also be more cost efficient.  The number of commissioners would
also remain the same, and the selection panel members do not do this as
a full time position.  Amendments can be done as private bill sponsored
by a single member of the national assembly (as was the case for the ICT
Practitioners bill). A petition[5] is another way to have the matter
considered. Of course, there maybe better ways to achieve the intended
outcome of a more effective IEBC. A thought provoking article. Thank you
John Walubengo and other listers for your comments.

0) https://www.iebc.or.ke/iebc/?mandate
1) https://iekenya.org
2) https://isk.or.ke/
3) https://www.tsc.go.ke/