[kictanet] Sim card swap: How Farah Bashir lost Sh2.6m to fraudsters in hours

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Tue May 31 07:18:21 EAT 2022

The messaging from Safaricom is a bit confusing.

On the FAQ below it asks:-

*When should I whitelist my line?*-
When you receive the below notification of an attempted SIM swap on your
line that you did not initiate.

‘Dear customer, we have received your SIM SWAP request. If you are not
aware of this, kindly dial *100*100# immediately to stop the swap. Thank
you.’

See the link below:-

https://www.safaricom.co.ke/faqs/faq/857

But then I have a question:-

Can we whitelist NOW without waiting for someone to try Sim Swapping OR we
can only do it when someone IS trying to Sim Swap our phones?

Regards

*Ali Hussein*

Fintech | Digital Transformation

Tel: +254 713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim

Skype: abu-jomo

<http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>

Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
organizations that I work with.

On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 9:19 PM Victor Kapiyo via KICTANet <