[kictanet] #PersonalDataAndElections2022: Policy Brief

David Indeje davidindeje at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 14:39:02 EAT 2022

[image: image.png]
*Dear Listers,*

A few days ago, we were asked:

"What is the IEBC  planning to do about these aspirants who have defied
digital privacy laws, stolen voters' cell phone numbers from goodness knows
where, and now they are assaulting us with endless and unwelcome SMS
pitches?!? CA and KICTANET what is your take? via Joyce Nyairo
<https://bit.ly/3MZpF8F>.

In responding to the question, we have published our latest policy
brief "Personal
Data & Elections 2022". It assesses how the implementation of the Data
Protection Act, 2019 impacts the 2022 Kenyan elections.

According to the authors, Victor Kapiyo and Tevin Mwendwa, unlike previous
elections, the 2022 election will be the first to be held with a
comprehensive data protection law in place.

The brief underscores the mandate of the IEBC to compile and maintain a
roll of registered voters in the country at the ward, constituency, and
national level.

It will also be It will be imperative that entities such as the IEBC,
Registrar of Political Parties and telco companies, and political parties
conduct data protection impact assessments (DPIA).

Below is the link: https://bit.ly/3626RVW

*Kind Regards,*

+254 (0) 711 385 945 |  +254 (0) 734 024 856
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-indeje/>