[kictanet] New Research Paper - What really impedes the scaling out of digital services for agriculture?

Benson Muite benson_muite at emailplus.org
Thu Jan 20 13:38:52 EAT 2022

Bw. Kieti,

Asante. A comparison with Asia and South America would be quite
interesting. Live streaming seems to be quite popular in China [0][1] -
where it seems that "naomba serikali isadie"[2] is not the way to do
things. The cost of communication relative to typical annual incomes is
also lower.

The issue of raising trust levels is also important to enable digital
transactions.  A traditional solution, hawalas existed before the
internet enabling commerce over very large distances, so technical
issues are not the only problem.

The response rate is relatively low, 887 responses from 300,000 likely
users, though the group sizes have changed since 2019[3][4]. SMS seems
to be useful for conducting surveys and engaging farmers[5][6].

For online surveys, might it be possible to engage directly with farmers
groups that do not just exist online if online groups with a high level
of engagement do not exist? One could consider medium size farmers in
the grain sector, for example through the East African Grain Council[7],
or dairy farmers through the Kenya Dairy Farmers Federation[8]. These
might get higher relative response rates, though would still not reach
many of the smaller farmers for which SMS and radio would be more
effective, as an example in Ethiopia, many chicken farmers have a mobile
phone and a radio[9].

Finally, efforts such as DigiFarm are nice. If DigiFarm succeeds at the
same level as MPESA, there is the worry that the same entity controls
both the network infrastructure for communication as well as the digital
service, squeezing out other possible innovators such as Twiga Foods. .

[0]
https://www.alizila.com/taobao-helping-farmers-reap-gains-in-livestream-boom/
[1]
https://www.alizila.com/alibaba-agriculture-festival-ushers-in-harvest-season/