[kictanet] [*Newsletter*] Re: Huduma Namba to replace KRA PIN in battle against tax cheats

Benson Muite benson_muite at emailplus.org
Mon Jan 3 17:52:06 EAT 2022

Happy New Year Listers!

The reports are useful. It would be nice if further countries are
studied for example China and Japan which have much closer links between
identity numbers for tax and social security purposes to the residence
locations. These countries also have much stronger local information
technology ecosystems for managing and securing their data. The KRA PIN
is already linked to a business registration or personal ID number. A
less bureaucratic and simpler tax collection system would likely be more
effective to administer and easier to automate.

The privacy concerns are well stated, especially after the experience of
India.

As there are pastoralists in Kenya who still enjoy privacy and limited
taxation, some innovation and adaptation of the identity system is
needed. This seems to have been poorly addressed by simply copying
identity systems used in other parts of the world.

It is surprising that there is no collaboration in this area with other
African countries as identity documents are useful for facilitating
trade and travel for example as is done in the EU and Russia.
Experiences from Rwanda ( significant digitization at relatively low
cost ), Nigeria ( large diverse population that is identified ) and
South Africa ( significant information linked to the identity ) are
interesting.

Finally, the current COVID electronic vaccination certificate
verification scheme also seems to serve as an identity verification
exercise since the vaccination certificates have an identification
number and can be looked up online. It is unclear if ip address logs are
kept for lookups. It is also unclear if the data collected by the
ministry of health will be linked to other data and and also for how
long it will be kept.