[kictanet] SIM CARD REGISTRATION & DATA PROTECTION ACT, 2019

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at kictanet.or.ke
Sat Apr 9 21:19:05 EAT 2022

@Gachungi, Lydia <l.gachungi at unesco.org> you are safe. It has been
clarified here in this article.

Not all Kenyans need to register SIM cards afresh, says Communications
Authority CEO Ezra Chiloba
<https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/national/article/2001442738/not-all-kenyans-need-to-register-sim-cards-afresh-communications-authority?fbclid=IwAR2x9nZ7wZkZu2cF27Cwqctm6mlWeGRBd5vZ-vjtbgTD-UEY-eIDeMCg10k>

Excerpts:
Different reports gave contradicting information in regard to who is
supposed to register his or her SIM card, with certain quarters claiming
it’s the entire telecommunications market, while other quarters stating
that only the unlisted customers should seek registration.

“The Communications Authority did not order the telecommunications
companies to register all SIM card holders afresh,” Chiloba exclusively
told *The Standard.*

*Chiloba said the telecommunications companies that asked all Kenyans to
re-register their lines, were “overzealous”, saying: “That’s not what we
asked them to do.”*

*The Director-General says the mobile service providers opted for a
knee-jerk reaction after CA demanded that all the service providers must
provide updated lists of all their registered customers by April 15, 2022.*

On Sat, Apr 9, 2022 at 12:19 AM Gachungi, Lydia via KICTANet <

--
Grace Githaiga
KICTANet Convenor

KICTANet portals