[kictanet] Facebook Community Standards

mosekaranja at gmail.com mosekaranja at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 17:32:55 EAT 2021

We should not have moved government communication to platforms like Facebook and Twitter and YouTube without laying strong foundations for government digital presence.

Facebook Community Standards are private rules. Facebook LLC (or whatever they call themselves nowadays) are happy when complaints like this are seen more as Facebook to fix instead of the Kenyan government. We have gradually shifted public responsibility (and authority) to private companies. The result has been too much dependency on whatever Facebook LLC (or whatever they call themselves nowadays) deems right. In this case, I suspect their sample content from online drug listing triggered a flag down (48pg, cheaper, expensive etc).

The Kenyan Government Communication Secretariat should run their own websites and feedback forums, at a minimum. This means they can easily adapt the evolving relationship they have with their taxpayers or residents in the country. There is nothing that stops them from sharing on any platform as a form of amplification to a wider audience, but fundamentally, they should publish on their own websites. It is sad to see empty government websites yet their social media pages are almost always getting fresh content. To know about your government is to follow their posts on centralized closed private surveillance platforms. What a shame.

So, Kiama, while our urgent concerns warrant us to engage this surveillance company, our mid- and long- term goals as a country should be to build our communication infrastructure sensitive to our contextual needs as a country.

That is why I charge the Kenyan government, not Facebook LLC.