[kictanet] Should streaming services pay ISPs for increased traffic?

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 12:51:20 EAT 2021

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 12:38 PM Mwendwa Kivuva via KICTANet <

> In the United States, Netflix has been paying a fee to broadband provider
> Comcast Corp for faster streaming speeds.
>
> South Korea's ISP SK Broadband has sued Netflix to pay for costs from
> increased network traffic and maintenance work because of a surge of
> viewers to the U.S. firm's content.
> Seoul court said Netflix should "reasonably" give something in return to
> the internet service provider for network usage, and multiple South Korean
> lawmakers have spoken out against content providers who do not pay for
> network usage despite generating explosive traffic.
>
> other content providers such as Amazon, Apple and Facebook are paying SK
> Broadband for usage of the network.
>
> Should content providers compensate network providers for increased
> traffic to their network? Is this a net neutrality issue where all content
> should be treated equally?se or personalize, respect privacy, do not spam,
> do not market your wares or qualifications.

How is my usage of my services I am paying my ISP for being interpreted as
"usage by my content provider"?
Is this the chicken-and-egg situation I have been hearing about?
I am already paying my ISP. If I didn't, they'd not even see the traffic to
Netflix, YT, etc.

Content providers compensating network providers for increased traffic to
their network seems like stealing for me. The content providers are not
using the ISP network. It's the client who pays for the link who does. Do
ISPs want to give FREE connections to me so that I can use Netflix, YT,
HBOMax and have these content providers pay them for my own traffic?

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,