[kictanet] US Tech Giants to Profit from Kenya Trade Deal

James Mbugua jgmbugua at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 12:32:09 EAT 2021

Listers,

I think this is a bit of a content fishing expedition.

The FTA doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It has been on ICE since the
Biden administration came in. The US seems keener on CPTPT (Comprehensive
and Progressive Trans-Pacific Treaty) and the EU-US Trade & Tech Council.

The TTC in Pittsburg did not do much except come up with broad areas for
the next meeting in Paris in 2022.

>From the emails I have been seeing from the American Chamber of Commerce
which was very active in organizing meetings around the Kenya-US FTA last
year, now it is taking a more East African tone.

UK is itself trying desperately to get an FTA done with the US and it
hasn't happened yet. Probably why they are busy dismantling some Tech
related laws.

In my opinion, it is good academic exercise to discuss it, but I do not see
it in the near horizon.

By then perhaps we will have built up the ODPC and probably put in
legislation around Ethical AI & Automated Decision making.

Regards,

JG Mbugua

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 11:46 AM Ali Hussein via KICTANet <