[kictanet] Licensing and Shared Spectrum Framework for Community Networks for Kenya online discussion

Liz Orembo lizorembo at gmail.com
Fri May 28 11:28:32 EAT 2021

Thanks Kivuva for pointing out that for profit tier licences are already in
place. Can there be special categories under CN that also provide content?

Here are my thoughts Adam.
ISPs and MNOs have done a great job in connectivity. But they still lack in
relevant local content. That's why Internet in the rural is still
perceived as a luxury commodity.

So an approach similar to community radios would be good to push this
adoption mashinani, and maybe create competition for big players to step
up. (Like Royal Media group and its vernacular stations)

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 9:15 AM Mwendwa Kivuva via kictanet <

> On Fri, 28 May 2021 at 10:05, Benson Muite via kictanet <
>

>> >     *Unserved areas exist within cities. Take an example of Nairobi; we
>> >     have Poa Internet, Tunapanda serving the masses where major telcos
>> >     have failed. The question is not only about coverage but also about
>> >     affordability.*
>> >     *
>> >     *
>> >     *Mombasa has Muoroto, Bangladesh, Kisumu Ndogo... all remain
>> >     unserved. Yet the town is teaming with all ISPs fighting for
>> >     businesses within CBD and industrial areas of Shimanzi.*
>>
>> Surprisingly, community networks are also used in New York:
>> https://www.nycmesh.net
>>

> Very interesting that NY has underserved people. "The Internet is central
> to our lives, but in New York City far too many people don’t have access."

Best regards.
Liz.

PGP ID: 0x1F3488BF