[kictanet] Use of the TV Whitespace

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 10:46:36 EAT 2021

Thank you, Barrack for highlighting the events around the process towards
the use of TVWS.

It would appear as the world was in haste to migrate to Digital
Broadcasting but wasn't quite ready to reap certain benefits consequent
upon the migration.

Having skimmed through the report you've shared, it would be interesting to
hear from CA on where the country is stuck with this endeavor.

It is almost one year since CA engaged stakeholders on the issue.

What happened after that?

How much time do they need?

Is the issue impeding the use of the TVWS the geo-location database issue
or the type approval process?

Or we are simply stuck on the drafting of TVWS regulations and white spaces
devices (WSDs) specification listing?

Were the results of the tests made public or those are for CAs internal
consumption only??

Does CA have a defined timeframe for when the TVWS usage must start - the
same way migration to Digital Broadcasting was set?