[kictanet] Day 2 Talk2Facebook ~ Data Protection

Twahir Hussein Kassim twahir at hussein.me.ke
Thu Sep 17 06:54:19 EAT 2020

Good morning listers,

Mwalimu Kelvin, my *views* inline below

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020, 6:01 AM Kelvin Kariuki via kictanet <

> Dear Lister!
>
> Trusting you are well, a great appreciation to all who shared their views
> on Day 1! We are on Day 2 of  “Talk2Facebook”, today we focus on Data
> Protection Issues.
>
> Kenya enacted its Data Protection & Privacy Act in 2019 where the rights
> of individuals (data subjects) have been enhanced. Share your comments,
> experiences, and challenges with regard to Facebook Services along the
> following themes:
>
> a) Have you managed to exercise your right to access and port (move) all
> your data that you ever posted on FB?

b) Have you managed to exercise your right to be forgotten, where you
> demand FB deletes all the digital footprint they have about?

*As the adage goes, "the internet doesn't forget". Many have been
adversely affected in their careers and or personal lives over stands they
held as younger immature individuals. Despite have made a step out of those
stands, the past inadvertently comes back to haunt them through an FB post.
The documentary " Facebook follies" has some examples.*

> c) Have you managed to exercise your right to modify or restrict the
> consent you previously granted to FB?

*This goes far beyond only that given to FB. There has been instances of
love affairs gone south and a one decides to "punish" the other by posting
very personal photos. On the other side there are those fake accounts that
use other people's identities eg photo to purport to be them, FB has many a
time failed to act and people's lives have been messed. *