[kictanet] Day 1 Talk2Facebook ~ Content Moderation

Kelvin Kariuki kelvinkariuki89 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 17:54:26 EAT 2020

Grace,
To add to your question, does Facebook have a Content Moderation Policy?
How transparent and available is it to the
general public? Is it applied strictly and fairly across all domains?

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 5:43 PM Grace Mutung'u via kictanet <

> Walu,
> That's actually interesting....non interference in the US but engagement
> with government in Africa? What makes different spaces get different
> approaches?
> GB
>

> On Wednesday, 16 September 2020, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> At the moment FB is struggling with online content issues with respect to
>> the US elections...from media reports I get the feeling they are preferring
>> the non-interference stance to content but I stand to be corrected.
>>
>> I get the feeling fake-news on digital platform may require capacity
>> building of the general masses - over and above what FB may, or may not do.
>>
>> walu
>>
>> On Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 12:06:33 PM GMT+3, Grace Mutung'u via
>> kictanet <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Teacher Karis,
>> With regard to content moderation, I am wondering if Facebook has
>> anything in the pipeline for upcoming Kenya elections. This is coming from
>> reports on their recent work in Ethiopia. I got the sense that Facebook
>> engaged with the government but still didn't help to contain content that
>> led to offline violence. There is also a sense from civil society reports
>> that Facebook took down content that should have stayed up or may have
>> blocked dissenters. My question is therefore what they learnt from that
>> experience in Ethiopia or other African countries they have engaged in.
>> Warm regards,
>> Grace
>>
>> On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 at 11:30, Ali Hussein via kictanet <
>>
>> My humble thoughts:-
>>
>> 1. How can we align current laws to go after the culprits who misuse
>> platforms like these. With this, I also mean platform owners themselves.
>> Policy Makers and Regulators the world over have unfortunately been caught
>> flat-footed by these Gatekeeper Platforms. Like a knife, they can do a lot
>> of good (in the kitchen!) but also be used as lethal weapons. How do we
>> find the balance?
>>
>> 2. Let me ask a question - At a bar, a party, or even in the bedroom is
>> there someone moderating our conversations or behaviors? Unless of course,
>> you are in China where even the cockroach in your kitchen has been profiled
>> by the CCP (Chinese Communist Party). This is not a joke...
>>
>> 3. The Net Neutrality (yes..still my pet peeve :-)) debate must be
>> revived. If we all had paid attention to this critical issue we probably
>> would not be having these conversations. For those of you who are new to Net
>> Neutrality click here <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality> to
>> bring yourself up to speed.
>>
>> 4. Last but not least, Gatekeeper Platforms have a fiduciary
>> responsibility and a social contract to keep the platforms clean and
>> usable. The problem here is that we will be giving these guys too much
>> power. Again, how do we find the balance?
>>
>> Regards

> [...]

Best Regards,

Kelvin Kariuki
Assistant Lecturer
Multimedia University of Kenya
Faculty of Computing and Information Technology
Twitter Handle: @teacherkaris
Alt email: kkariuki at mmu.ac.ke
Mobile: +2547 29 385 557

The Lord is my Shepherd