[kictanet] Day 1 Pre KIGF Online Discussion – Data Track

Twahir Hussein Kassim twahir at hussein.me.ke
Wed Oct 14 18:35:42 EAT 2020

Listers,

There is no denying where we are headed in as far as use of AI and how it
will use data (big and small)! Na hio ndio maendeleo (as MO1 would have
said)

However, we need to weigh on the Good to Have Vs Should Have and this might
just open a Pandora box!

*Good to Have*
The amount of good that can be harnessed from use of data through AI is
enormous. This ranges from medical diagnostics, through to law litigations,
to matters education, weather patterns etc. That data can be used to give
probably with an efficiency beyond the human mind.

To weigh in on this, we also need to look at the HUMAN side of it! Can AI
with all its intricacies, given all possible data permutations truly mimic
the emotional, human side that decisions are mostly made or is the
eradication of this very human nature what we aim to achieve?

*Should have*
Am aware that SHOULD is not the word we normally associate with when
comparing GOOD TO HAVE. The norm is MUST HAVE. I chose this word to be on
the middle ground so as not to appear to be forceful on it.

Governments and people in power would be beating the war drums to have AI
mine all data of ever living, dead and to be born persons! The national
security card would definitely be pulled up!

Whilst as citizens, we would definitely want to be living securely knowing
we are protected. However, if such data goes so deep as in analysing very
personal information that could be a cause of wars within homes... would
this be adding to the value of life?

So GOOD TO HAVE Vs SHOULD HAVE...that's probably what I would sum it down
to!

THK

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020, 4:43 PM Winfred Anyona via kictanet <