[kictanet] Day 1:Discussion of the Data Protection (Civil Registration) Regulations 2020

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 13:13:22 EAT 2020

Dear Rosemary,

My responses in line

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 12:11 PM Rosemary Koech-Kimwatu via kictanet <

> Dear Listers .
>
> Following the release of the following regulations :-
>
> 1) Data Protection (Civil Registration) Regulations 2020
> 2) Registration of Persons (National Integrated Identity Management
> Systems (NIIMs), Regulations 2020
>
> Today we shall cover the first on* Data Protection* and we shall discuss
> the NIIMs regulations tomorrow . The following are a few questions to
> guide our discussion:-
>
> 1) On the definition of Civil Registry a list of public agencies has been
> given, should these regulations apply to other state agencies which collect
> personal data for example the National Employment Authority, NSSF, NHIF etc
> or would these fit under a separate set of regulations?

*BO:* Ideally, Line Ministries and Semi Autonomous Government Agencies and
Independent Commissions should pick citizen data from a single point to
avoid duplication. This data should be covered by the Data Protection Act

> 2) What happens to existing civil registry databases, shall there be a
> transition for example IPRS, this is missing in the current draft?

*BO:*  I think we need a single data base that contains Citizen Data (those
that have ID's) Our ID numbers are our primary key's for that reason any
data related to every Kenyan Citizen as identified by the National ID
should be covered by the Data Protection Act.

> 3)The regulations make provisions for requests by public entities what
> about provisions for requests by private entities?

Provisions for requests by Private entities should also be incorporated.
Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is the back bone for any thriving
e-commerce economy

> 4) Do you feel that adequate provisions have been made for the protection
> of your data that will be held by civil registries?

*BO*: At this point i am looking forwad to the appointment of a Data
Protection Commissioner so that we can start testing the act. I will have a
better answer after that.

> Kind regards,
>
> Rosemary Koech-Kimwatu
> Advocate