[kictanet] Day 1 Discussions: Digital Hailing Services Regulations

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Wed Feb 12 00:01:19 EAT 2020

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020, 9:11 AM Liz Orembo via kictanet <

> Thank you Kivuva and Arya for your additional contributions.
>
> @kivuva, You raise a very valid point.  Carpooling was the initial idea of
> uber and the car owner business model was the unintended outcome, offering
> people alternative income,  and shifted a big part of the traditional taxi
> industry to digitally hailed taxis. Current situation is that people took
> loans to own cars and are working day and night just like any other taxi
> guy.

This discussion has nothing to do with loans and private investors making
bad financial decisions. In economics, garbage collecting is inevitable.
Those with no proper use for their capital will loose it in dubious
investments

So how can we make the carpooling idea work for Kenya to ease out the
> traffic?

Simple. Allow drivers ferrying empty seats to load them with humans, and
don't legislate stringent measures that make that impossible. In fact, NTSA
should pay private car owners to donate those empty seats for public
transport decongestion. There are countries in this world where public
transport is free. Movement of people leads to economic growth.