[kictanet] Internet Should Be A Public Utility Service

Bitange Ndemo bndemo at bitangendemo.me
Mon Apr 6 14:38:41 EAT 2020

In my view, you are all right.  Broadband in Kenya, by and large, is a
public utility. The much of the undersea cables and NOFBI are indeed public
assets and are well maintained. These investments were meant to be just
like the road network where we as the private sector can bring our
competitive spirit and innovations. It is the competition that brings down
pricing and facilitates good service.  The regulator was created to ensure
we have good services at a fair price.  On the last mile, some policy
interventions like infrastructure sharing and other incentives are already
in place. What makes the difference is what the private users do on the
infrastructure. We are not doing well in that space especially on local
content development. Imagine if we had a hackathon on learning modules for
standard 8 and form 4 such that in this difficult time, we can have the
best teacher (best content and presentation) is used to get these students
through their syllabi and be ready for the exams in November.  Instead of
kids watching cartoons, we could utilize this time for experimentation of
online learning. Instead, we are all complaining when the entire country
today has internet (Yes the whole country since Alphabet are providing
services directly from the balloons).

Ndemo.

On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 1:58 PM Barrack Otieno via kictanet <