[kictanet] Internet Should Be A Public Utility Service

kanini mutemi kaninimutemi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 14:01:49 EAT 2020

Such a timely conversation. Pains to watch the country come to a standstill
when a good number of functions can continue online if only we had
prioritized the right things eg infrastructure before free laptops.

The Law Society of Kenya filed a case back in 2018 to have access to the
internet declared a basic right
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nation.co.ke/news/LSK-makes-case-against-internet-tax/1056-4787340-view-asAMP-3kasjoz/index.html.
This would have several effects. Most important- place a positive burden on
the government to ensure universal access. All the problems listed by Noah
can be solved at a policy level if the categorization of Internet
infrastructure and accessories changes (currently classified as a luxury).

A huge problem is about to arise in the judicial sector. Courts are closed
to physical traffic, hearings and judgements currently being carried out
online. What we’re saying is you can access education, justice, government
functions only if you have access to the internet. This has to change.

On Sun, 5 Apr 2020 at 13:47, Noah via kictanet <

> On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, 13:33 Dorcas Muthoni, <dmuthoni at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Mobile devices are battery powered. Internet infrastructure exists. The
>> problem is tariff structure and perhaps licencing. New licence categories
>> are desired.
>>

> The battery of the mobile device must be charged every day from the main
> grid.
>
> The main grid is supplied by fossil fuels, natural gases and hydro most
> commonly.
>
> Are we seriously considering other sources like solar with abundance of
> sun and what are the regulations around that.
>
> Nuclear is also an option but that is a stretch for our poor economies.
>
> Bottom line affordability of energy has direct impact on what you are
> advocating.
>

>> Bottled water Vs clean tap after. We need a vendor for everyone.
>>
>> Let's increase the abundance thinking space my brother.  This is
>> possible.
>>

> No doubt but you need affordability at layer 0 of the OSI model before
> layer 1, 2 and 3 can be universally accessible and affordable.
>
> I submit
>
> Noah
>

>> On Sun, 5 Apr 2020, 13:25 Noah via kictanet, <
>>
>>> Is stima aka electricity universally accessible and affordable to even
>>> the poor and most vulnerable?
>>>
>>> Like i said earlier, ICT infrastructure needs a lot of stima and for
>>> internet to be universally accessible and affordable the electricity needed
>>> to power up the silicon chips must also be universally accessible and
>>> affordable across each county and kitongoji.
>>>
>>> If folks and their kids in kitongoji are still using candles and other
>>> rudimentary sources of power  because they cant afford it or due to lack of
>>> it while folks in cities can easily access stima then the universality of
>>> internet becomes impossible if not discriminatory.
>>>
>>> Noah

> https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/kaninimutemi%40gmail.com

*Mercy Mutemi, Advocate*.