[kictanet] Internet Should Be A Public Utility Service

Noah noah at neo.co.tz
Sat Apr 4 23:10:46 EAT 2020

Hi Muthoni

A very nice piece but the devil is in the details and believe me, the
infrastructure that enables access to the Internet, costs money, a lot of
money, no kidding. That is why even in developed nations, the internet is
not universal but at least it's affordable due to massive private sector
investment that went into building the transport networks in those
countries hence the dense development of the Internet in most advanced
economies.

The good news is that there is continued development of this infrastructure
one day at a time across the continent. There is also a new movement around
community networks to aid inclusiveness in places where there is no
connectivity and this is not only in Africa but across the world.

For Africa, there is also an issue of geography. There are regulatory
issues. There are economic issues in terms of what is a national priority
though most counties have started to take the Internet and ICT seriously.
No kidding, right now, access to food/water and healthcare is proving to be
more of a priority than the Internet in most countries.

In your piece you talk of education and health. In terms of education and
it being online, I tend to think that such content can be online or offline
but it has to exist first and with internet exchange points and CDN's, a
nation could leverage on such infrastructure to deliver such critical
content to its people in the country at a much lower cost.  In terms of
health, the same approach could come in handy and this is where Internet
exchange points become very important.

Just my opinion as I sip a warm glass of muharubani (african herbs)
concoction.

Noah

*./noah*
neo - network engineering and operations

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 4:39 PM Dorcas Muthoni via kictanet <