[kictanet] Tech Solutions for Covid-19

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 12:10:46 EAT 2020

Dear Liz and listers,

My responses in line

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 9:54 AM Liz Orembo via kictanet <

> Good morning listers,
>
> The senate has established an ad-hoc committee that will oversee the
> The committee has issued a call for submissions on the following themes.
>
>    1. *Health *- includes community health,  testing centers, mental
>    health, role and engagement of county governments.
>
> *BO : Instead of re-inventing the wheel why don't we coalesce around
efforts such as COVID-19.Ke. You cannot manage what you don't know, we need
to know areas that have been hit the hardest to ensure correct measures are
taking to avoid any further spread. The Ushahidi platform on the above link
can help us to monitor and control the spread of COVID-19.*

>    1. *Economic and Finance Issues - *Includes macro economic effects,
>    measures that the government can take to cushion SMEs and borrowers.
>
> *BO: The government has an elaborate structure from the County
Commissioners to Chiefs to Chairman of Nyumba Kumi. We can encourage
sharing for information through Whatsapp to identify needy cases, those
that might need food and other humanitarian support to survive. I propose
that Whatsapp be made totally free on all Networks to facilitate
communication.*

>    1. *Social, Public order and Human Rights - * Includes protection of
>    vulnerable groups, and enforcement of curfews
>
> *BO : We need to combine Government and Community Structures to
continuously inform, educate and possibly find ways of entertaining the
Community in ways that will result in behavior change. Over communication
is the key word.*

>    1. *Access to Food, Water and other basic commodities *Includes
>    measures to support continuous production and supply of essential services
>    at affordable prices. Food, water etc
>
> *BO : encourage citizens to utilise available resources carefully.
Encourage citizens to take care of each other within local communities and
share what they have while maintaining the guidelines that will avoid the
spread of the pandemic.*

>    1. *Support services and cross cutting issues - *Includes awareness
>    creation, how to combat stigmatization and network access across the
>    country.
>
> *BO . As indicated above let us coalesce around initiatives such as
covid-19.ke <http://covid-19.ke>, the hrose has already bolted, we cannot
start new initiatives , let us bolster existing initiatives.*

> Listers, what are your views?  How can ICTs help in these 5 areas? and how
> can the government improve its communication and network connectivity
> across the country?
>
> Please find attached the call for public participation with more details.
> The deadline for submission is 8th April.
> --
>
> Best regards.
> Liz.
>
> PGP ID: 0x1F3488BF