[kictanet] The Kenya Information and Communication (Amendment) Bill, 2019 - No. 61 of 2019 (Malulu Injendi Bill)

Twahir Hussein Kassim twahir at hussein.me.ke
Tue Sep 24 16:42:46 EAT 2019

Listers,

Reference an article on Standard today (24th September 2019) titled
"Facebook, WhatsApp groups admins to seek CA clearance" attached is the
said bill.

Whilst agreeably we need to regulate the social media inline with Internet
Governance; the essence of this bill is both BACKWARD and OPPRESSIVE for
lack of stronger terms to use.

Having said that, it is imperative that we go through this with a tooth
comb and point it's flaws and suggest better ways - a better way is
definitely there. On this note, I think it is high time that we started
looking at issue and put up measures before we get hit by such bills and
start fire fighting.

Let's roll up our sleeves.

Twahir Hussein Kassim
Email: twahir at hussein.me.ke