[kictanet] Kibaki’s letter gave birth to Kenya’s famed Silicon Savannah

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 16:02:31 EAT 2019

Good memories of that team (Mutahi Kagwe, Bitange Ndemo, etc) which made it
all happen.

The Mucheru team..Ndemo led blockchain task force (recommendations) MAY be
even more revolutionary in fighting graft.

https://www.nation.co.ke/news/Blockchain-technology-can-help-Kenya-win-graft-war-/1056-5210942-jwa63n/index.html

Trust more details will be published @ http://icta.go.ke/ but some critical
issues must be addressed.

(i) Our data protection act must require all sensitive data belonging to
Kenyans, reside in Kenya - but with allowances for backup (copies) outside
Kenya.

Foreign firms need to keep our data local, even if they already have it
backed up in their nations.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/indian-govt-likely-to-cave-in-on-data-localisation-stance-after-pressure-from-us/

With fraud in the energy & water sectors being addressed, we are on the
right track to more affordably & safely keep data local.

(ii) Edge computing = more local data centres are needed for 5G networks
(vision 2030) - IoT, Blockchain, etc

https://www.networkcomputing.com/networking/how-edge-computing-will-strengthen-5g-and-vice-versa

That is all.

Skype: s.m.muraya

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 11:35 AM Grace Githaiga via kictanet <

> ...The journey to that phone call had begun at an insurance industry
> dinner two years earlier, in early 2006, at the Panari Hotel in Nairobi.
> Then, Mr Kagwe was the guest of honour.
>
> After his speech, a journalist had asked him to state the one thing he
> hoped to achieve at the ICT ministry. He told the journalist that he wanted
> Kenyans to communicate easily and cheaply with the world.
>
> *At the time it cost Sh35 per minute to make a phone call within the
> Safaricom network during peak hours and up to Sh50 per minute to other
> networks.*
>
> These high costs made Kenyans wait until off-peak hours to make cheaper
> calls, which often clogged the Safaricom network in the evening, rendering
> it impossible for anyone to get through.
>
> *This state of affairs led then Safaricom CEO Michael Joseph to accuse
> Kenyans of peculiar calling habits, *causing a PR crisis for the company.
> Internet connections, on the other hand, were a nightmare.
>
> Read more on:
> https://www.nation.co.ke/news/Kibaki-s-letter-that-delivered-broadband-internet/1056-5254036-otjimhz/index.html
>

> Best regards
>

> Grace Githaiga
>

> --
> Grace Githaiga
> Co-Convenor, Kenya ICT Action Network

SMM

*"Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one
who takes a city." Prov 16:32*