[kictanet] KICA Amendment- Regulation of Social Media

Beryl Aidi bee.aidi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 16:04:26 EAT 2019

Dear listers
Coming in a bit late to this discussion, and largely as a silent observer,
I hope my observations are not too late.
My view is that the licensing and registration requirements are ways to
muzzle the public, prevent people from expressing themselves freely;
largely with an aim to keep criticism of leaders at bay and ultimately an
attempt to clampdown on the rights and freedoms guaranteed in Articles
31-37 of the C on freedom of expression, access to information, press
freedom, freedom of assembly (in terms of groups etc), freedom of
association.

1.       Narrow definition of what a blog is, confusing it with news, when
the universal definition of a blog is a weblog or a log of written material
posted on a website.

2.       It leaves out platforms like Twitter which is considered
microblogging, which is vague and can easily land one in problems.

3.       License to social media platforms to operate in Kenya- What does
this mean? Is it the companies or is it about individuals using the
platforms? And how practical is this?

a.       If it is about the companies what obligations are there besides
paying a license fee? If it is about raising revenues then perhaps should a
debate on taxing the companies be.

Or will we end up with alternatives that create a China wall like China’s
alternatives such as Baidu for Google,  Sina Weibo for Twitter or WeChat
for Facebook?

b.       If it is about users, will individuals now be required to get a
license to use social media? Do people now have to get a permit to talk to
and connect with family and friends or to express themselves publicly?

3.       Registration of bloggers- let’s say that blogging is like letters
to the editor or opinion pieces in a paper. Do people register to share
their opinion?

4. What about data retention? Is this going to be like Tanzania's case
where cybercafe operators are now required to retain data in their servers
for a year? Where does that leave the right to privacy?

Al in all, it is a shame for Kenya to be replicating the worst practices of
its repressive neighbours when it has been the leader in the the region.

Best

Beryl Aidi

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 10:32 AM tevin mwenda via kictanet <

Beryl