[kictanet] KICA Amendments: Universal Service Fund use and reporting

kanini mutemi kaninimutemi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 09:42:37 EAT 2019

Morning Kivuva,

Unfortunately I am on the other end of @Adam’s POV. The law must prescribe
in the narrowest terms possible the uses USF should be put to. I am
reminded of a recent order from the President that the USF funds be
appropriated to fight cybercrime since the funds are idle.

Secondly, I am quite uncomfortable with expanding the uses of the USF when
we have no evidence that we have finally achieved 100% penetration levels.
The amendment should be tailored towards demanding more transparency from
the Authority, tightening reporting standards and returns to Parliament.

Proposals on appropriating USF for capacity building especially for Members
of Parliament- I would also oppose those strongly. CAK has other sources of
funds besides USF - those can be appropriated for those other purposes.
Let’s dedicate USF to its original purpose until everyone is online. Then
we can talk about other extra-curricula activities.

On Fri, 25 Oct 2019 at 09:10, Adam Lane via kictanet <

*Mercy Mutemi, Advocate*.