[kictanet] KICA Amendments: Control of anti-competitive practices by telecommunication operators

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu Oct 24 23:52:04 EAT 2019

Thanks Barrack.

To your question, the main aim of this bill as indicated in the document is
to "aid in the control of anti-competitive practices by large
telecommunication industries in the sector."

Just for context, I saw the acting CEO of Safaricom in the news today
challenging the dominance and competition issue.

He said that Safaricom's other main non-telecommunication business, M-pesa,
could never have been successful without being bundled with voice and data.
He said that the first 5 years of M-pesa was never successful. It was
subsidized by voice and data. He also said he does not see the point of
separating M-pesa to punish Safaricom for investing heavily to make the
business successful.