[kictanet] Huawei interview on China-Africa Podcast

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Sat May 25 16:24:08 EAT 2019

Adam,

Planning to listen to the podcast...

In the next decade or two, only racism WILL reduce the influence of China
in Africa.

https://citizentv.co.ke/news/kenha-wants-4-chinese-workers-deported-for-assaulting-kenyan-officer-248925/

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 3:41 PM Adam Lane via kictanet <

> For anyone with 50 minutes to spare and interested to listen to this
> podcast interview I did… Eric and Cobus do go for the fairly tough
> questions.
>

> https://chinaafricaproject.com/podcast-china-africa-huawei-adam-lane/
> [AUDIO] Like it or Not, Huawei is the Indispensable Tech Company in Africa
>
> *[EDITOR’S NOTE: This episode was recorded before the United States
> government announced that it would blacklist Huawei and blocked the company
> from using Google’s Android operating system and other apps.]*
>
> It is hard to overstate Huawei’s singular importance in the development of
> Africa’s information technology sector. Over the past ten years the
> company, often armed with state-backed loans from China, has built
> significant portions of Africa’s IT infrastructure, everything from
> networking to broadband connectivity to new cloud data centers in places
> like Egypt and South Africa. 70% of all 4G networks across the continent
> were reportedly built by Huawei.
>
> But while Huawei’s presence in Africa is pervasive it’s also
> controversial. Allegations that Huawei was involved in Chinese spying
> efforts against the African Union prompt similar questions like those being
> raised by the United States who challenge the company’s independence from
> both the Chinese Communist Party and the Chinese government.
> “The U.S. is going to have to be strategic about how they approach this
> challenge. You can’t just blunder in and say, ‘It’s us or them.’ China does
> provide things that the continent needs.” — Joshua Meservey, Heritage
> Foundation senior analyst
> <https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/03/19/for-africa-chinese-built-internet-is-better-than-no-internet-at-all/>
>
> Although African stakeholders contend that security and privacy concerns
> surrounding Huawei are important, most do not believe they are paramount
> issues. Instead, access to affordable, high-quality telecommunications
> infrastructure is much more important.
>
> But now that the United States is closing in on the company, blocking
> Huawei from using the Android operating system, African telecom operators
> are likely starting to worry about what happens if Washington similarly
> blacklists Huawei’s use of components that are used in all that networking
> gear now running their phone and data networks.
>
> If Huawei is forced out of those markets, it could be cataclysmic for
> African telcos who would find it difficult, if not impossible, to switch to
> American, Korean or European vendors.
>
> The bottom line is that African telecommunications operators now rely on
> Huawei gear, making the Chinese company truly indispensable in the
> operation of their networks.
>
> Huawei, like almost every Chinese company, is notoriously averse to
> interacting with the media and rarely grants extended, on the record
> interviews with no pre-conditions.  So, it was a bit of a surprise when
> [...]

SMM

*"Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one
who takes a city." Prov 16:32*