[kictanet] [strategic inefficiency is what creates a large number jobs] Jobs fall to 6 year low despite GDP "boom".

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Wed May 1 13:55:40 EAT 2019

Last night, on Citizen TV, there was a back and forth discussion between a
Senator and the Health CS, in which BOTH were addressing misinformation
(leading to unused if not misused funds).
As it were, both were/are victims of misinformation.

This could be simply addressed if "cottage" industries such as LOCAL Web
agencies could be easily procured (paid and empowered) to help provide *access
to information* (up to date wb portals:)

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 4:50 PM Patrick A. M. Maina via kictanet <

> Dear listers,
>
> In order to create jobs, the government should move away from policies
> that focus on increasing efficiency to those that are strategically
> inefficient.
>
> Examples:
>
> 1. SMEs, e. g. cottage industries, are inefficient - compared to larger
> factories, but they can create exponentially more jobs with less tax
> breaks. Most SMEs also spend all their revenues in Kenya, while promoting
> other dependent MSMEs.. unlike large corporations which tend to move funds
> abroad for different reasons (tax, asset protection, hedging, dividends
> etc).
>
> 2. We always see donors (especially, I believe, WB & IMF if I recall
> correctly) always pushing govt to redirect expenditure from recurrent/wages
> to "development"/infrastructure (clearly in their own interest as assets
> can be securitized for their own peace of mind, and more debt can be
> incurred in dev projects). So they push developing countries to reduce
> manpower in critical strategic sectors of the economy (less teachers,
> doctors etc) or to pay below-market wages.
>
> What is the impact of such financial efficiency measures? Do they not care
> that the employees they keep asking to be retrenched are real people with
> families? Do they not care that manpower reduction means our children get
> the worst teacher:pupil or doctor:patient or police:civillian ratios?
>
> Such recommendations lead to massive hidden costs downstream that cannot
> be attributed (e.g. low quality education, poor healthcare, increased
> insecurity due to overloaded+underpaid workers). It just looks like we have
> endless problems of incompetence but it is not by accident... we follow
> "weaponised advice", designed to keeps us poor.
>
> Efficiency efforts should be limited to enabling high impact service
> delivery (optimized processes) not financial efficiency.
>
> Government should find ways/tactical excuses to ignore callous and
> unethical requests/pressures for cold blooded fiscal efficiency.
>
> Public sector Performance Contract targets need to be linked to a basket
> of grassroots metrics that reflect the general quality of life for the
> ordinary population (besides GDP, Inflation, NSE Index & exchange rate).
> This can be presented in dashboard format on eCitizen so that wanjiku can
> see what is happening, hold officials to account for not delivering and be
> motivated to support such initiatives (but the data must be *real* to avoid
> risk of future backlash).
>
> Our "missing middle" problem (i.e. a tiny middleclass) needs to be
> addressdd. It exists because government incentives for business have
> focused mainly on Micro enterprises which are too inefficient to be
> sustainable, and large corporations that are too efficient to fill the jobs
> gap (and too demanding - always asking for endless concessions just to
> maintain status quo).

> [...]

SMM

*"Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one
who takes a city." Prov 16:32*