[kictanet] Mesh Networks in South Africa

Michuki Mwangi michuki.mwangi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 18:38:49 EAT 2019

Peter,

To provide some insights on how community networks are built and operated,
I would like to refer you to similar community initiatives we have in the
country. You may have come across community water projects. These
initiatives have for many years provided communities in semi-urban and
rural areas with clean, piped, portable water and at affordable rates.
Their sustainability is based on low OPEX and growing membership and a
general application of Elinor Ostrom's "commons model". For most of these
projects the initial CAPEX is from grant funds or loans that they repay
over time.

Community Networks (CNs) are not any different. They are established using
CAPEX from grants and similar models to those community water projects. The
engineers are local youth trained through the initiative with the basic
training needed to run and operate the network. CNs will negotiate IP
transit capacity from operators closest to them. In some cases, it means
building long haul wifi links spanning over 50kms to get to the closest
operator's node. In the case of Zenzeleni, the closest operator who could
provide them with reasonably priced capacity is in Umtata, more 100kms from
Mankosi. In addition, CNs use low cost, low power wi-fi gear and use solar
to power the equipment. All these factors have a significant impact on the
OPEX and as a result, CNs are able to offer affordable access to the
communities they serve. In some cases, CNs offer other services that
supplement their revenue stream. Sustainability is still a challenge for
many of them just like many water projects tend to suffer from. However,
both of these tend to find ways of continuing to serve their communities
for many years. I suppose its largely dependent on their bottom up
community approach to the initiative. Kindly allow me to invite you to read
the following study on CNs in Africa -
https://www.internetsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/CommunityNetworkingAfrica_report_May2017_1.pdf

Regards,

Michuki.

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 5:45 PM Bitange Ndemo via kictanet <