[kictanet] [resent with references] When it comes to privacy by default, settings matter!

Patrick A. M. Maina pmaina2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 12 05:19:15 EAT 2019

 My appreciation of the subject, and its sheer complexity (see links #1-4) has evolved considerably over the last 3-6 months and I'd like to offer a slightly deeper discussion for those who may be interested.

Alice has presented the two phrases below for discussion:

Ph1: “Africans don’t care about privacy”;Ph2: “Africans do not care about privacy in the same way Europeans [and/or] Americans do";
These phrases have gained notoriety in persuasive rhetoric, both within and beyond Africa (see link #5), as "truths" advanced to justify policies or activities (whether manual or automated) that are perceived  as unwarranted invasions of privacy, by a varying number of people, to varying extents  - depending on context, motivation and timing.

Both phrases require us to accept a loaded presupposition that the definition of "Privacy" is universal and culture independent. This is not true: For example, there are some indigenous cultures in Africa, where it is perfectly normal and acceptable for women to be topless in public (and they even allow visitors/tourists to take photographs); but in other cultures it would be considered a gross violation of personal privacy if, say, an "X-ray" device at an Airport/Mall, was tuned to see through a woman's blouse, such that the resulting image appears like a topless representation of her body. So cultural considerations need to be accounted for - if we are to establish a culture-neutral definition that would facilitate a reasonably objective cross-cultural comparison of public attitudes towards Privacy.

When collecting data about this issue, care must be taken to ensure that we are conducting the right study. For example, if using a survey, we have to be sure that we are really testing for who cares more/less about invasion of privacy, and not actually testing for which group is more informed (from the study's perspective), or which group is more assertive, or more vocal about the issue. Silence does not mean consent. People who live in societies that have historically suppressed "free speech" for example, will likely respond conservatively (or diplomatically) to certain surveys - compared to people in cultures that consider freedom of speech an absolute and guaranteed right (see link #6). How do you account for such (often invisible) nuances?

Given the above considerations it is clear that both Ph1 and Ph2 are incomplete propositions and, thus, defective/manipulative when used for persuasion. Either phrase would be more balanced if it articulated the specific testable circumstances and perspectives (e.g. cultural)  where it can be reliably inferred that, within such a context, Africans appear not to care about privacy or appear to care less about privacy compared to Europeans and/or Americans.

Furthermore we have to dispense with yet another presupposition in Ph2, that Americans and/or Europeans "care about privacy". Granted that such a statement is already too general to be meaningful (it's like declaring that "all blue strings are long"), we can still challenge its veracity as an absolute proposition by examining data/evidence that suggests the contrary.
Let's use Facebook as an example. In early 2004, Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg was reportedly asked about how he obtained the information for his newly launched social network, and his alleged response was:

"People just submitted it. I don't know why. They 'trust me'. Dumb f*cks." (see link #7)

Despite well publicized scandals around privacy, fake news, radicalization and extremism involving the use of the Facebook platform, some of which were apparently considered to be of significant enough public interest as to trigger a US Congressional Inquiry in 2018 (see link #8a), approx. 69% of Americans (>200Million people - i.e. slightly more than all of African Facebook users combined) still use Facebook as at early 2019 (see link #8b). Why? Does it mean Americans don't care much for privacy? Or to what extent do they care about privacy and under what conditions do they agree to waive this right (see link #8c)?
This raises another interesting question: At what point does societal ignorance about privacy issues cross over to reckless negligence? What are we expected to know about privacy, by default, how do we acquire this knowledge and whose responsibility is it to ensure we have the necessary competency to make intelligent decisions about online privacy (see link #9)? Was Mr. Zuckerberg alluding that Americans ought to have been aware, and concerned, about online privacy but, for some reason, did not appear to care?

What about Europeans? Over 280 Million (western) Europeans use Facebook daily (see link #10a) - and this number is reportedly trending upwards. Does GDPR truly guarantee privacy in an era of CCTV, GPS, Cell Tower Triangulation, cloud-based digital personal assistants and IoT; or does it create a convenient administrative illusion that does not reflect reality (see link #10b-11)?

To put it differently, why would so many Europeans use a privacy-scandal ridden product like Facebook in the first place if indeed they had privacy concerns (see link #12)? Again it boils down to: at what point, and under what conditions, does privacy become an actionable concern to an individual? Does worry/concern without action count?  Consider the fact that the EU Parliament only recently voted to create the Common Identity Repository (CIR), a massive biometric database of all people within the EU (see link #13), which sounds eerily similar to India's Aadhaar and Kenya's NIIMS.

The above analysis suggests that there is global ambiguity about the precise public attitudes in different parts of the world around the issue of online privacy - and a significant contributory factor could be mass-scale ignorance about the emerging novel risks associated with vast quantities of pooled personal data (see link #14-15).

Would people be more concerned about privacy if they knew, for example, that their social media data (photos, engagement) could be used, without their knowledge or consent, to train Artificial Intelligence algorithms (see link #16-17) that could potentially be used, at some point in future, to negatively profile certain groups in society, for targeted persecution, based on, say, physiological features or cultural leanings?

 Considering the increasingly manipulative nature of "nudge" algorithms, will the idea of cognitive sovereignty (free will) gain popular traction globally as a 21st Century human right? Would the public care more about privacy if they consider the possibility that their personal data is being used to automate them, or turn them into human robots, for the benefit of third parties (see link #18-19)?
Has the effectiveness of securitization as a tool for achieving rapid mass-scale compliance attracted motivated malevolence - thereby turning the masses into fearful, mindless, obedient sheep, that will gladly give up their fundamental rights in exchange for protection (see link #20)?
Studies suggest that online crowds/mobs behave just like real mobs. Can/should they be reasoned with? Is the psychology of mob behavior an impeding factor when it comes to promoting human rights in the digital realm (see link #21)?
Good day & brgds,
Patrick.

Patrick A. M. Maina[Cross-domain Innovator | Public Policy Analyst - Indigenous Innovations]
Links / References:
1.Dec 2016: Privacy is an essentially contested concept: a multi-dimensional analytic for mapping privacy

2. May 2016: The Complexity Is in the Details: New EU Data Protection Law Promises User Control
https://www.isaca.org/Journal/archives/2016/volume-3/Pages/the-complexity-is-in-the-details.aspx

3. Aug 2011: The World Is More Complex than It Used to Be
https://hbr.org/2011/08/the-world-really-is-more-compl.html
4. Defining Privacy - Adam D. Moore (Journal of Social Philosophy)
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228322653_Defining_Privacy
5. “A Person Is a Person through Other Persons”—A Critical Analysis of Privacy and Culture in Africa
https://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?PaperID=69939
6. ‘‘Fear-of-the-state bias’’ in survey data
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331502711_%27%27Fear-of-the-state_bias%27%27_in_survey_data
7. May 2010: Facebook founder called trusting users dumb f*cks
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/14/facebook_trust_dumb/
8a. April 2018: Zuckerberg faces skeptical Congress on Facebook privacy breaches, Russian meddling
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/09/facebook-ceo-zuckerberg-faces-skeptical-congress-hearings-privacy-and-russian-election-meddling/499387002/
8b. 10 Facts about Americans and Facebook
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/05/16/facts-about-americans-and-facebook/
8c. Americans’ complicated feelings about social media in an era of privacy concerns
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/03/27/americans-complicated-feelings-about-social-media-in-an-era-of-privacy-concerns/
9. Apathy about privacy is a myth: why users do care about data collection
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/digitaliberties/myth-of-online-privacy-apathy-why-users-do-care-about-data-collection/
10a. Facebook’s user growth in Europe is bouncing back, defying stricter privacy laws
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/25/facebook-q1-2019-user-growth-in-europe-is-bouncing-back-despite-gdpr.html
10b. May 2018: GDPR is a start, but not enough to protect privacy on its own
https://www.ft.com/content/624f813e-5f5e-11e8-9334-2218e7146b04
11. GDPR isn’t enough to protect us in an age of smart algorithms
https://theconversation.com/gdpr-isnt-enough-to-protect-us-in-an-age-of-smart-algorithms-97389
12. The privacy paradox – Investigating discrepancies between expressed privacy concerns and actual online behavior – A systematic literature review
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0736585317302022
13. April 2019: EU votes to create gigantic biometrics database
https://www.zdnet.com/article/eu-votes-to-create-gigantic-biometrics-database/
14. How you helped create the crisis in private data
https://theconversation.com/how-you-helped-create-the-crisis-in-private-data-94633
15. People's ignorance of online privacy puts employers at risk
https://www.csoonline.com/article/2134174/people-s-ignorance-of-online-privacy-puts-employers-at-risk.html
16. Your social media photos could be training facial recognition AI without your consent
https://mashable.com/article/ibm-flickr-images-training-facial-recognition-system/
17. Facebook is using billions of Instagram images to train artificial intelligence algorithms
https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/2/17311808/facebook-instagram-ai-training-hashtag-images
18. The Real Privacy Problem
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/520426/the-real-privacy-problem/
19.  'The goal is to automate us': welcome to the age of surveillance capitalism
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/jan/20/shoshana-zuboff-age-of-surveillance-capitalism-google-facebook
20. Surveillance, Privacy and Security: Citizens' Perspectives
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/315669838_Surveillance_Privacy_and_Security_Citizens'_Perspectives
21. How Social Media And Mob Mentality Are Killing Our Ability To Think Critically
https://thoughtcatalog.com/a-y-greyson/2017/11/how-social-media-and-mob-mentality-are-killing-our-ability-to-think-critically/