[kictanet] IGF Week Day 2 Discussion - Digital Inclusion

nzambi kakusu kakusuj7 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 22:29:08 EAT 2019

Dear listers,
Thank you Kelvin for raising the concerns
I will try my best to respond satisfactorily

1. What are the government regulations on Community Networks

*The issue of government regulations on community networks is not as clear
since community networking is slightly a new concept but it sure is an
important issue....*

2. Are there any licenses required? Spectrum License or Operating License?

*There is no spectrum licensing - like in the case of Tunapanda, what is
used is the open spectrum which is a globally unlicensed spectrum*
*The same way NGOs are licensed to operate, community networks are required
to obtain an operational license*

I have also realized that KICTANet recently hosted the local Community
Network Global Inception Meeting, more here
https://www.kictanet.or.ke/?p=40352, any insights from those that attended?
How come our very own TunapandaNet did not attend?

 i attended the global inception meeting and several things stood out
Community networks are owned by the community and for the benefit of the
community
 Sustainability model where most community networks agreed that it is the
main area of concern considering the costs incurred and the huge amount of
labour required for the operation of community networks. The argument being
community members expect a stipend and if they agree to volunteer, they
never stay in the network for long hence leaving projects halfway.
in other cases, volunteers are given learning opportunities/ platforms by
the Community network but once they are knowledgeable they move on to
'greener pastures' then the community network has to start the process of
looking for volunteers and the cycle continues.

the solution to this was to use locally produced products to reduce
production costs and devising ways to motivate the volunteers to help grow
the network
 there was also a mango tree challenge which illustrated a typical mango
tree which has ripe, unripe and green mango fruits. The point was to
encourage the community networks to set goals that are SMART. The ripe
mango represented the things that needed to be done immediately while the
unripe represented the short term goals and the green represented the long
term goals.

 Tunapanda as a community network was not present since the 12 community
networks in attendance were grant recipients of the Association for
Progressive Communications Local Access Network (APC LOCNET). Applications
were made and the 12 community networks were selected for the grant.
However Josephine Miliza of Tunapanda was present. she is the African
coordinator on the  APC LOCNET project.

i'll be glad to give additional information.
regards.

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019, 1:32 PM Kelvin Kariuki via kictanet <