[kictanet] [who are the sponsors? Managing indoctrination risks...] CALL TO PARTICIPATE AT THE 4TH EDITION OF KENYA SCHOOL OF INTERNET GOVERNANCE (KESIG)

Grace Bomu nmutungu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 23:35:43 EAT 2019

1. Let's agree to disagree. I respect your views but do not want to lose a
great idea like KeSIG to semantics and tradition.

2. KICTANet is donor funded. The theory of change is people centred ICT
policy reforms in a multistakeholder space. Any donor who gives money
understands that the network is made up of diverse views. Donors do not
dictate content, they support programmes or activities.

3. Please read the book then we can discuss further. I find Dr. Kurbalija's
organisation of internet governance issues genius as it helps beginners to
make sense of a field that is full of jargon which may scare many away.

4. KICTANet is registered as a trust. The registered trustees have been
petitioning for incorporation since 2016. This has been a difficult journey
as it is at the discretion of the Minister (for lands). There is a plan for
staggered succession. I guess all the energy has been directed at getting
the incorporation so that there can be an proper organisation separate from
the volunteers who are setting it up. There was an assessment of KICTANet
in 2007 where options for registration of the organisation were floated.
The urgency to formalise the organisation became apparent after the new
Constitution when public participation was made mandatory. A group of us
volunteered to pursue the registration in 2015 after the Kenya IGF. We
consulted the founding members and got their blessing to go ahead.
At the end of every year we have a state of ICT event. During this, people
review the year and give suggestions for the next year's projects.
Fundraising is on the basis of these suggestions. The gist of KICTANet has
been a space for everyone interested in ICT policy development. Examples of
policy issues that have been worked on from a proactive approach in the
recent past include blockchain, elections technology and data protection. I
believe the policy research is on the website and you can see the names of
all the people who were involved.

5. It is easy to become an "insider". Just volunteer for a task/programme
for example KeSIG and KIGF which are currently being planned. You can also
bring an issue you care about and use the KICTANet brand we have built to
work on it. This is how we got into the programme on community networks.

6. There has been thought about an organisational structure. It is
envisaged that once incorporated (and funded), the trust will have
employees who will run the programmes while trustees will be a board for
governance. But all these are still visions. For the time being we have a
convenor who provides strategic leadership and a steering team made of
trustees and associates.
Yes, volunteers are paid stipends and honoraria whenever the funding
permits.
I am not aware of any complaints from members/officials and would be happy
to channel them to whoever can address them.
I believe KICTANet has built a reputation in policy making circles locally,
regionally and globally. Please understand that locally, we are working in
an environment where most public bodies do not have proper public
participation policies. Sometimes they send notices for public
participation just a few days before expiry of the input period. I know
many here would want more meaningful public participation, for example
proactive participation. That said, it is the duty of everyone to notify
the network when they see a relevant opportunity for public participation.
Moderators do not have to be neutral, all stakeholders have different
interests and backgrounds. Moderators have to be objective and inclusive. I
am assuming that you are referring to moderated debates?

7. Yes, we have students assisting to run projects. We also have other
groups of people who are learning, even though formally. I am hoping that
they will come here and introduce themselves to you. Though between you and
I, your style can be a bit intimidating. See how you tore apart an innocent
message from a young Kenyan announcing KeSIG :)

With regard to documents, there was a revamping of the website and I have
also noted that I can't see all the annual reports, state of ICT/End year
reports as well as the strategic report, which talks about the
organisational structure that you are interested in. Let me look for them
and get them posted.

Yours,

--
Grace Mutung'u