[kictanet] URGENTLY REQUIRED IN KENYA & AFRICA - Increased Public Awareness about advanced Fake News methods and technologies

Francis Monyango monyango93 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 06:31:28 EAT 2019

Patrick,
I wish you just took your time and dug deeper into the leads Barrack has
suggested. Information controls (censorship, internet throttling and
shutdowns, fake news) has been the most researched topic in Kenya since
2016. These research was done in anticipation of a highly contested
election. I wish you read the reports and engaged the researchers involved
on their findings.
On AI/deepfakes, the impact is beyond damaging fake news during political
transitions. It has an impact on various human rights such as dignity since
it is a tool that is currently used in sexual violence. And there are
researchers working on reversal methods, some people in this list are
working with those researchers. It is not a Kenyan problem but a global
one. Dig deeper and try to engage those who have worked on these topics.
Maybe you can exchange ideas if you have some that can be implemented,

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 09:52, Patrick A. M. Maina via kictanet <

> Thanks Barrack, appreciated. So just to be clear, other than the policy
> briefs, there is no data that shows what nationwide public awareness
> programs have been run to sensitize the country on fake news, in which
> counties, when, number of people reached, the demographic groupings of
> recipients, perceived effectiveness, and follow up / continuity plans?
>
> I am not knocking what has already been done - its really good efforts by
> stakeholders and deserves to be applauded, just saying that the *stakes are
> rising exponentially* - thanks to increased sophistication of fake news
> (via AI / deep fakes) - hence the need to push for a more strategic and
> coordinated approach.
>
> What do you think?
>

> On Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 9:38:25 AM GMT+3, Barrack Otieno <
> otieno.barrack at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Patrick ,
>
> Let me correct you first, there is no defensiveness and there is
> nothing sensitive the problem is your approach which i find wanting
> and i will explain why:
>
> 1. A lot of efforts have been made my different stakeholders. What
> appears disjointed to you might be 'jointed to someone else'. In a a
> multistakeholder forum the cardinal rule is to respect other peoples
> efforts whether they measure up to your expectations or not.
>
> 2. There are Policy Briefs on this subject on the KICTANET website on
> this subject please read the documents. Please check out websites of
> the partner organizations that i referred to for more content.
>
> 3. With regard to the National Strategy or any other areas where there
> are gaps, feel free to initiate a proposal, you can crowdsource ideas
> from the listserve.
>
> Again in a multi stakeholder environment , every opinion or suggestion
> should be respected.
>
> For avoidance of doubt this are my own views.
>
> Regards
>
> On 1/29/19, Patrick A. M. Maina <pmaina2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Barrack, Is there data / reports that shows what public awareness
> programs
> > were implemented, their cumulative reach, the perceived effectiveness and
> > recommendations for follow up / continued action plans? Where can it be
> > accessed pleased?
> >
> > What you are listing looks like disjointed efforts that don't seem to be
> > strategically coordinated. Is there a national strategy for handling the
> > risk of fake news?
> >
> > I seem to have accidentally touched a sensitive area... why am I sensing
> > defensiveness?
> >

> >    On Tuesday, January 29, 2019, 8:59:39 AM GMT+3, Barrack Otieno
> > <otieno.barrack at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >  Hi Patrick,
> > It appears to me that your feedback is based on assumptions. As i
> > indicated , KICTANet has been working with a number of local and
> > International Stakeholders to address the issues you have raised. If
> > you dig through the list archives you will rich conversations on the
> [...]

Francis Monyango

Lawyer | ICT Policy and Legal Consultant
www.monyango.com