[kictanet] URGENTLY REQUIRED IN KENYA & AFRICA - Increased Public Awareness about advanced Fake News methods and technologies

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 08:59:37 EAT 2019

Hi Patrick,
It appears to me that your feedback is based on assumptions. As i
indicated , KICTANet has been working with a number of local and
International Stakeholders to address the issues you have raised. If
you dig through the list archives you will rich conversations on the
subject matter in the last two years . Locally KICTANet has worked
with the NCIC (Kaparo Commission)  which has the mandate of dealing
with hatespeech, fake news etc. Other stakeholders thenetwork has
worked with  include BAKE (Bloggers Association of Kenya), CIPIT
(Centre for Intellectual Property and IT based at Strathmore
University, Parliamentrary Commitee on ICT and Innovation under the
leadership of Hon Kisang to name but a few (LAst year during the Kenya
IGF the parliamentary commitee and the Senate sent more than 5
legislators to participate in Internet Governance deliberations).
Internationally KICTAnet has partnered with Paradigm Initiative  which
hosts the annual Digital Inclusion Forum, CIPESA which hosts the
annual Internet Freedom Forum and Association of Progressive
Communications. We have a number of Policy briefs on this subject
matter. A number of listers have also been involved in this efforts
which have been impactfull even though they appear small. I hope they
can chip in.

Regards