[kictanet] Kisumu turns to WhatsApp for better services

Victor Kapiyo vkapiyo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 13:40:55 EAT 2019

Kisumu county is testing a county 'digital assistant' to provide
information relating to different functions. I think its a good initiative
by the county. See story below.

Are there any innovative implementations of such or similar systems being
implemented in other counties that listers may be aware of? I think it's a
useful start, and they are taking in feedback and suggestions to improve
the service. Hopefully, some of you might want to try it out and see what
gives. I wouldn't mind having a similar Chatbots for eCitizen or iTax,
whose numbers sometimes hardly go through.

____________

This week, the county has been testing an interactive WhatsApp platform
that allows residents to get information promptly. All that one needs to do
is to send the word “hello” from a WhatsApp account to +254 756 742 421.

That message prompts the county digital assistant to release a drop-down
menu that asks the user to select a code representing their area of
interest. There is a separate code for government ministries, healthcare
services, tourists sites, hotels and radio stations. “When you send the
word “hello”, it gives you an automated “welcome” response and from there,
you can get information on anything,” says Levit Nudi, one of the brains
behind the platform. “It is very similar to USSD codes like *100# with the
only major difference being that it's running on WhatsApp, which is not a
common thing to find anywhere,” he said, adding that future plans include
creating codes for information on county jobs, tenders, and other
opportunities.

https://www.businessdailyafrica.com/corporate/tech/Kisumu-turns-to-WhatsApp-for-better-services/4258474-4938278-ghvpo3/index.html

*Victor Kapiyo*
Partner | *Lawmark Partners LLP*
*Suite No. 8, Centro House, Westlands, Nairobi | **Web: www.lawmark.co.ke
<http://www.lawmark.co.ke> *

*“Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude” Zig
Ziglar*