[kictanet] Economic sabotage via FAKE NEWS

Patrick A. M. Maina pmaina2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 15:45:50 EAT 2019

 Indeed Barrak. The 2010 constitution, despite its weaknesses, is a great starting point for establishing our national values (Article 10). I think the implementation is where things really got mixed up.
For example:
1. At some point Article 10 compliance got associated solely with government jobs / tenders
2. National values have been "844-rized" and are measured primarily via paid-for certificates from different issuers (extrinsic indicators) - rather than having a track record within the society that shows consistent values-aligned behavior (intrinsic indicators). Were national values demonstrated and maintained by person X even when it would have been inconvenient or unprofitable? - for example...
3. The fact that corruption continues unabated means that the certification system is a failure - which is not surprising as values are held in the heart - not on paper.
One of the things that contributes to lack of political will in implementing the national value system is our society's support of elitist leadership (which creates a parallel society for elites which insulates them from consequences of broken values systems).
To solve the parallel society problem, what would happen if:
1. All staff in the ministry of housing had to live in Kibera / mukuru / dandora etc with all their families until the problem of housing was solved?
2. All staff in the ministry of education were compelled to enroll all their children in public schools? Would public education improve?
3. All government staff (at all levels) were reimbursed for medical *only when* they use public hospitals, and Government not to cover  private medical care? Would health sector problems be solved?
4. All government officers (except the President and deputy) to experience traffic jam without resorting to privilege shortcuts? Would urban planning improve?

etc.. etc...
Our leaders don't live in the same Kenya as everyone else - and the people seem to be very satisfied with that arrangement yet that is a big contributor of the problems and misplaced priorities that we experience in Kenya!
Patrick.