[kictanet] Education ministry abandons Uhuru's laptop project

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 10:58:56 EAT 2019

“While supply and installation in schools stands at approximately 95
percent nationally,
implementation ails at 5% percent in terms of utilisation of the
equipment,” the report
which was prepared by former acting Moi University Vice Chancellor Laban
Ayiro reads."

This is interesting. Maybe not. I fail to differentiate between supply and
installation in the above context.
Those two should not be distinct when it comes to a laptop/tablet. I also
fail to differentiate between
implementation and utilization. Is this usually how complicated it is to
understand technocrats?

Where does the buck stop now? With the Education Ministry or the ICT
Ministry?

Are they going to take back the tablets/laptops that were already issued or
what is the future of such?

And what exactly was/is the content in the laptops/tablets or the future
labs?? Does anyone know?

Do we have KICD peeps in this list??

Maybe the govt should just stop wasting taxpayers money, because even
building the labs is not going to
change the scenario. To me, the real problem is NOT what is being blamed.
It lies elsewhere. Planning.
What was actually planned was the "cut" to be earned from the supply. That
was achieved. The rest is/was
not important. The second "cut" to be earned from the labs is now well
planned. The end result though is
bound to be the same - whatever stagnated the utilization still exists.

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 at 09:22, Grace Githaiga via kictanet <

> Listers
>
> Just incase you missed reading this one. KICTANet discussed this
> eventuality a while back. Read on!
>
> The Ministry of Education has now suspended issuance of tablets to Class
> One pupils under the digital literacy programme, opting instead to build
> computer laboratories.
>

> Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang has said that each of the 25,000 public
> primary schools will get one computer laboratory.
>

> “There has been a policy change in programme from one child-one laptop to
> the construction of computer laboratories for ICT integration,” Dr Kipsang
> told National Assembly’s Education Committee while presenting budgetary
> proposals.
>

> https://www.nation.co.ke/news/education/Ministry-abandons-laptop-project/2643604-4997644-10p9jfgz/index.html
>

> Best regards
>

> Githaiga, Grace