[kictanet] Online discussion on State of Broadband in Kenya

Wambua, Christopher Wambua at ca.go.ke
Thu Apr 25 17:06:35 EAT 2019

Mwendwa,

Below are responses to your additional queries:

If I am not mistaken, the last time land based internet coverage and population based internet coverage was mentioned on the list, Rachel indicated that CA would update the methodology. While at this, Ali has shared connectivity statistics from CA where 47.9% of internet subscribers are using broadband. Perhaps you can give us your definition of broadband, and also what 47.9% broadband internet subscribers mean. Does it mean people?

As regards the review of the methodology used to compute internet and mobile subscriptions,  may wish to note that this is work still in progress. We shall apprise the community on the revised methodology in due course.

Mobile broadband subscriptions

Based on ITU standards, mobile broadband subscriptions refer to subscriptions to mobile cellular networks with access to data communications (e.g.the Internet) at broadband speeds (defined as greater than or equal to 256 kbit/s in one or both directions) such as WCDMA, HSDPA, CDMA2000 1xEV-DO and CDMA 2000 1xEV-DV, irrespective of the device used to access the Internet(handheld computer, laptop or mobile phone etc).

These services are typically referred to as 3G or 3.5G   and include:

- Wideband CDMA (W-CDMA), an IMT-2000 3G mobile network technology, based on CDMA that presently delivers packet-switched data transmission speeds up to 384 kbit/s and up to 2 Mbit/s when fully implemented. It is known
as Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) in Europe.
- High-speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA), an upgrade to W-CDMA to allow downlink data transmission at speeds of typically 8-10 Mbit/s. It is complemented by High-Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA), which offers uplink speeds of around 5 Mbit/s.
- CDMA2000 1xEV-DO (Evolution, Data Optimised), an IMT-2000 3G mobile network technology, based on CDMA that delivers packet-switched data transmission speeds of up to 4.9 Mbit/s.

Mobile broadband subscriptions per 100 inhabitants also referred to as Mobile broadband Penetration is derived by dividing the number of mobile broadband subscriptions by the total population and then multiplying by 100.

Fixed Internet subscribers refer to the total number of Internet subscribers with fixed access, which includes dial-up and total fixed broadband subscribers: cable modem, DSL Internet subscribers, other fixed broadband and leased line Internet subscribers.

Explanatory notes

Subscribers should be distinguished from users. Subscribers are entities (e.g. businesses, individuals) that subscribe to an Internet access service. Users are entities that use those services. In the case of individuals, users are always more numerous than subscribers, because one subscription can service several users. The difference is likely to be even greater where public access to the Internet is common. Internet users are derived from household surveys. In the case of fixed internet services such as fibre, wireless, satellite, users are always more numerous than subscribers, because one subscription can service several users. The difference is likely to be even greater where public access to the Internet is common. However, it is the opposite for mobile internet services, subscriptions are always more than users since one subscriber can own multiple SIM cards.

Subscriber-Entity or an individual with an active contract between themselves and a service provider. Used in the case of fixed services.
Subscription-Refers to any SIM card that has generated revenue in the last 90 days.Used in the case of mobile services only.
User- Refers to any individual or entity that has consumed internet services in the last 12 months regardless of technology, location etc

Thanks Ali for going deeper on what Broadband means. "High speed Internet (on fibre, or radio, or coaxial), that is always on. Let me be a case sturdy. Over the last few years, I have used Zuku (5mbps, ksh3000/month), Safaricom fibre (5mbps, ksh3000/month), and Poa internet (2mbps, ksh1500/month) at home. Zuku on fibre but coaxial at home, Safaricom on fibre, and Poa Internet on radio and twisted pair. These three services, Safaricom fibre, Poa Internet, and Zuku, were they always on? No. Could I run a server on it? No. Could I support a life saving machine on it? No.

Now, can these companies claim to be providing broadband at home if it is not always on?

>From a Regulatory reporting perspective, an Active Subscription/Subscriber is described as any subscription/subscriber that has generated (through usage or receipt of services) any revenue through service provision in the last 90 days. If the broadband connectivity was not on within the last 90 days then it’s not counted.

This also leads me to DATA BUNDLES. Is data bundles broadband whether 3G, 4G, 5G? Yes. Refer to above definitions.

Christopher Wambua

Director/Communications & Public Affairs | Communications and Public Affairs

Tel: +254 20 4242000/284
Office Mobile: +254 730 042284/
                       +254 730172284

P.O. Box 14448 Nairobi 00800

[Description: Description: http://digital.scanad.com/casignature/img/mail.png]wambua at ca.go.ke [Description: Description: http://digital.scanad.com/casignature/img/facebook.png] Communications Authority of Kenya<https://www.facebook.com/CAOKenya?ref=hl> [Description: Description: http://digital.scanad.com/casignature/img/twitter.png] ca_kenya <https://twitter.com/CA_Kenya> [Description: Description: http://digital.scanad.com/casignature/img/web.png] www.ca.go.ke <http://www.ca.go.ke/>