[kictanet] Online discussion on State of Broadband in Kenya

Ronald Ojino ronojinx at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 13:28:22 EAT 2019

In our definition of broadband, apart from speed we need to look at service
properties too.
It seems the underlying problem is we think of broadband more as a
competition issue
than as a public good and thus end up not emphasizing important attributes
such as quality, security etc.
Best regards,
Ronald Ojino

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 11:12 AM Ali Hussein via kictanet <

> Kivuva and all
>
> Let's start with the definition so that we are on the same page.  Besides
> a 'Kenyan Translation' let's agree first what Broadband is. Because a car
> is a car but there are Mercedeses, Teslas, Toyotas, and the thing that some
> Governor in Kenya displayed some weeks back.
>
> According to Wikipedia, Broadband is:-
>
> *Broadband* is wide bandwidth
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_(signal_processing)> data
> transmission <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_transmission> which
> transports multiple signals and traffic types. The medium can be coaxial
> cable <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable>, optical fiber
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_fiber>, radio
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio> or twisted pair
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair>. In the context of Internet
> access <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_access>, *broadband* is
> used to mean any high-speed Internet access that is *always on and faster
> than** dial-up access
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dial-up_Internet_access> **over *
> traditional analog
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_old_telephone_service> or ISDN
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISDN> PSTN
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_switched_telephone_network>
> services.
>

> Based on the definition above what is the broadband coverage in Kenya and
> what is the Universal Service Fund
> <https://ca.go.ke/industry/universal-access/purpose-of-the-fund/> of the
> Communications Authority doing to ensure Kenyans are not disenfranchised?
> My own thumb suck estimation is that Broadband coverage in this country
> stands at less than 10%. And I'm being generous.
>

> Most of us know this. Beyond the major towns, there is almost no
> connectivity to speak of. How is this impacting citizens? We know for
> example that today you can hardly transact with the govt without online
> services. Most Kenyans don't have access to computers let alone Smart
> Phones. And when you have a Smart Phone try connecting to eCitizen. A visit
> to the dentist is less painful.
>

> According to the latest Communications Authority Statistics, <http:///> The
> data/Internet market in the country remained vibrant during the period
> under review. As at 31st December 2018, the total number of active
> data/Internet subscriptions stood at 45.7 million of which 47.9 percent
> were on broadband. Consider those numbers and then consider the population
> of this country. And then ask yourself how reliable these statistics are. I
> leave it here.
>

> The impact of accessibility or lack thereof of Broadband in today's world
> cannot be gainsaid. We must have an executable plan in this country to
> ensure the disenfranchised are brought on board.
>

> *Ali Hussein*
>
> *Principal*
>
> *AHK & Associates*
>

> Tel: +254 713 601113

> [...]

Faith is a living and unshakable confidence. A belief in God so assured
that a man would die a thousand deaths for its sake.