[kictanet] Intermediary liability law in African countries (and the AU)

nicolo zingales nicolozingales at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 15:21:14 EAT 2018

Greetings everyone,

I am new to the channel, so apologies if I have missed any relevant
discussion on this. I signed up to consult this group on recent
developments on intermediary liability in Africa.

As you might know, APC had a few papers in 2012 on intermediary liability
in Nigeria, Kenya, South Africa and Uganda
<https://www.apc.org/en/node/15623/>. I also wrote for them a report on
best practices for intermediary liability in 2013
<https://www.apc.org/sites/default/files/APCInternetIntermediaryLiability_BestPracticesAfrica_20131125.pdf>.
Following from that, I have been recently contacted to write a chapter for
an upcoming Oxford handbook on intermediary liability, which looks back
into developments on the subject over the last few years in Africa
(2012-2018). I want this to be as complete and accurate as possible, but
the material I have been able to find online regarding new laws and court
decisions is rather limited. I would therefore be very grateful to any of
you who took the time to share, *in or off-list*, *notable developments in
your country relating to liability of intermediaries* (in a broad sense:
digital platforms, but also ISPs and other types of intermediaries, e.g.
registrars and domain name operators, or payment companies). I would also
be curious to hear of *any regulation or policy coordination relating to
intermediaries in the context of the African Union*, which at the time I
wrote the 2013 paper appeared to be a suitable forum to develop some common
principles in this field. Has anything happened on that front?

Thank you really very much in advance for anything you're able to
contribute. I will be glad to share a copy of the chapter, as soon as it's
feasible, with anyone who's interested.

Best wishes,
Nicolo