[kictanet] Article - Protecting Ideas: The Government Whitebox is out

John Paul Karijo johnpaulem at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 21:07:30 EAT 2018

Hi Muraya,

I agree with Jimmy.
I got into the whole Startup and Innovation space through such a
competition.
I have trained young people how to prepare and win such competitions - but
once they win I have to carry the guilt of building someone up and not
knowing what to tell them to expect in their future.

Goals of competitions are really good on paper and zero in reality.
Also we are not the  USA, China, Russia, UK, Germany, Israel, India,
Singapore, etc  - We are Kenya our context is different...
Startups here are working on solutions to fundamental issues as opposed to
these countries where they are past that and are working on incremental
solutions. Also adoption and diffusion of innovation here in the Savannah
takes longer and is harder than these countries you just mentioned.

If they want to build local talent they should invest in the Community
Innovation hubs that are doing it such as Swahili Box and Sote Hub and Lake
Hub and Eldoret Hub... they should support other upcoming ones and the
founders trying to make them a reality such as Nakuru Hub and Meru Hub.

With kind regards

Jeipea

Believe in yourself then you can change your world

Skype: john.paul.em
Cell: +254735586956

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 8:36 PM S.M. Muraya via kictanet <