[kictanet] The KeNIC we want: Stakeholder engagement and Operations

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Fri Oct 5 10:12:28 EAT 2018

The debate on revitalising our .ke ccTLD registry continues today.
Yesterday, we tackled Governance issues. Suggestions were made, the major
ones dealing with Transparency at the .ke registry, and Equality on
representation. Thank you for contributing, reading, and listening. Please
feel free to continue contributing to that thread, as we go to the theme of
the day.

Today we will tackle Stakeholder Engagement and Operational Issues.

Public / Stakeholder Engagements
1. Should KeNIC hold Annual General Meetings? Is there value in holding the
AGMs?
2. When was the last AGM held?
3. Can the annual reports, and deliberations of the AGMs be published on
the KeNIC website?
4. Should the AGM be open to the public?
5. Accountability: How accountable is KeNIC? To whom does it account to?

Operational Issues
1. A great effort has been made to popularise the .ke brand, including some
popular advertisements, using patriotism to encourage Kenyans, and opening
up the second level. But numbers don't lie. Currently, we are at around
80,000 .ke domains, while South Africa is at 1.3million. Is there more work
that can be done to make .Ke popular?
2. What are the challenges in selling the .ke brand? What are the
opportunities?
3. Is there a challenge in generating content for the KeNIC website? Some
pages as noted yesterday have not been updated for some years now.
4. What support does KeNIC give to Registrars?

Here are some statistics that I had shared on Tuesday, that may help  in
stimulating the debate.

Germany population 82.67 million
.de domains: 16 million domains (one domain for every 5 people)
Percentage Domain penetration: 19%
.de is the third largest registry in the world and is ran by DENIC which is
a non-regulated not-for-profit cooperative owned by registrars.

South Africa Population 56 million
.za domain: 1.3 million domains (one domain for every 46 people)
Percentage Domain penetration: 2.3%
.za is the largest ccTLD in Africa, managed and regulated by ZADNA which is
an agency of South African government under the Department of
Telecommunications and Postal Services.

Kenya population 50 million
.ke domain: 79,773 domains (one domain for every 627 people)
Percentage Domain penetration: 0.16%
.ke is managed by KeNIC which is envisioned as a Public Private Partnership
(PPP) entity

Looking forward to a fruitful debate.