[kictanet] Child marriage on facebook

Hannington Oduor hanningtondr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 16:05:14 EAT 2018

The question sits squarely at the intersection of three things
1. Is the government tech savvy enough to regulate big ISPs FB, Google etc

2. Have the services of the big Tech spun out of their control reducing
their admins to spectators?

3. If the first two are positive, is the market equipped with the right
tools to address the concern?

Regards

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 3:34 PM Wainaina Mungai via kictanet <

> Hi,
>
> Facebook as increased their staff significantly to help police what is
> posted. We may want not to blame the medium used and focus more on
> addressing the culture of marrying off children of any gender in any
> country. That way, we remain focussed on 'children's rights'.
>
> The main offenders in this case are the "sellers" and "buyers" who took
> part in the auction.
>
> In the end, the extent of regulation will depend on mutistakeholder
> negotiations on the balance between an open Internet for all and the need
> to protect privacy, security and human rights online.
>
> Wainaina
>
> On 20 Nov 2018 15:18, evelyne wanjiku via kictanet <
>
> Hi listers,
>
> Im following a debate on cnn about this south sudanese 'baby bride' who
> was auctioned on fb.
>
> It brings me back to this question, who should regulate facebook? Some
> argue fb is too big to regulate all the things that happen on their
> platform.
>
> Who should police fb? Is it us? We have power to shut down our pages if we
> dont agree with what goes on in their...but we don't. Why?
>
> Is it facebook? Do they care about being responsible especially in Africa?
>
> Is it government? And just how far can the government reach?
>
> Or should we just relax and face the beginning of the  end by having an
> attitude of anything goes as long we have internet.
>
> Nice day everyone.
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

*Computer and Cellular Forensic InvestigatorCyber Crime Unit CID HQ Nairobi
0720-727003ENCASE II        C.H.F.I*