[kictanet] Local IXP (KIXP) peering and Local traffic

Job Muriuki muriukin at gmail.com
Thu May 3 12:18:46 EAT 2018

Anyone here from Tespok or CA shed some light.

I have a question on what governs local ISP peering in Kenya. There is KIXP
at EADC which was set up so to keep local traffic local. Is it open to
international carriers like Seacom, Tata, Etisalat, Hurricane electric,
China Telkom and others who are present at EADC?

The reason I ask is if you take service, IP transit service from any of the
carriers and you are not peering at KIXP your IPs (Local traffic) go all
the way to either France or UAE and back to Kenya while they could have
just peered at KIXP and offer faster and "affordable" connections. It makes
no sense for a connection to ecitizen or a server hosted locally at say
Node Africa to have to go to IXPs in other countries and brought back to
Kenya getting treated and charged as international traffic.

Is KIXP that unreliable or what is the challenge? If we don't grow our
local capacity to deliver gigabit speeds in our IXP and take advantage of
CDNs available locally, will we ever fully utilise the internet and create
jobs at the same time without having multinationals come do it?

Currently getting a data pipe from point A to B over a fiber connection
within Kenya is more expensive than getting an internet connection from the
same provider which will be carried on the same fiber link as the data pipe
which makes absorption of hosting services in Kenya way expensive compared
to hosting servers in Europe or America. Most Kenyans and even some
government agencies result in hosting services overseas and the users are
in Kenya then what is the point of investing in fiber locally and have it
rot underground while cash is sent to companies out there for a service we
can provide locally?

Regards,
Job Muriuki,

Skype: heviejob