[kictanet] MIT announced the hiring of Epstein on April 24 as its first humanist chaplain

Wambui Wambui wwamunyu2009 at gmail.com
Tue May 1 16:21:44 EAT 2018

What caught my eye here is the recognition that we can create apps,
networks, content, and other stuff. But what to do with those things -
including whether to film a woman being violated before a cheering
audience, then to share that video with others - is not only a legal
question, but also an ethical/moral one.
MIT has chosen to embed an ethical consciousness around tech among its
students. I'm sure they also have ethics classes somewhere in the
curriculum. But taking it to the chaplaincy also says that ethics is not
only about the classroom, it is about life.
The violation video shows that in Kenyan society, we sometimes choose to
use tech insensitively, unfairly, disrespectfully, violently, and
irresponsibly. Those are ethical/moral decisions, even if unconscious.
But how to establish that greater ethical awareness among us all? Maybe we
need to change what we do, teach and model at home. In school, an emphasis
on the humanities - e.g. art, literature, social studies, religious
education - should also help our citizens to engage in deeper reflection
and critical thinking starting from a young age.

Wambui Wamunyu
Academic/Researcher

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 10:21 AM, WANGARI KABIRU via kictanet <