[kictanet] M-Kopa Solar fires 18% of its staff including all developers, outsources work to a foreign company

Adam Lane adam.lane at huawei.com
Mon Mar 12 14:08:03 EAT 2018

Brian
The money they have raised was debt financing to predominantly pay for the up-front costs of solar systems, TVs and phones that they then resell onto their consumers, who pay back day-by-day over several months. These are all assets. Of course some of the money is also for operations and for expansion. It is not accurate to say they have burnt through the money; they have spent a lot of the money on assets.

I would also think that they don’t need a large software development team having already developed their software, and instead focus on a smaller (maybe outsourced) team for maintenance and small upgrades (which would be easier to outsource after the initial development), but that is just a guess.

Adam