[kictanet] As we celebrate International Women's Day

Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) nmutungu at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 08:54:07 EAT 2018

Listers,
Looking at the KICTANet community over the years, there are many great
women who have made contributions to ICT policy development in Kenya and
beyond. From the founding convenor Alice Muyua and Florence Etta who helped
nurture the baby, through visionaries like Njeri Rionge (early
entrepreneur) , Catherine Adeya (former Konza boss), Warigia Bowman (among
the early academics ), Mwende Njiraini (teacher to many here and Manager
Type Approval at CA) and Judy Okite who in the early years of the community
spoke FOSS, beside her work on accessibility.

And there are many more that have contributed and continue to serve the
community - Grace Githaiga our convenor and mentor to many, Rachel Alwala
our resident public participation liaison (thank you for always coming out
to answer queries to CA), Jane the digital tv practitioner, Steph Muchai
the gracious human rights advocate, Ebele Okobi and the Facebook team who
have engaged KICTANet to the point of becoming part of us and many newbies
who have brought so much vigour to this community- Juliet Nanfuka, Rosemary
Chemu, Nanjira, Kanini Mutemi,June Okal just to mention but a few.

As I was going through the archives, one of the contributions to the list
that struck me was tribute to the late Eng. Atieno Ochola (Tieni). In the
thread, (July 2012), her colleagues mourn her as an industrious public
servant who was key to the TEAMS project. I quote Dr. Ndemo who says,

"At the Ministry we are mourning our departed sister Tieni. As a lead
engineer in all our discussions with our partners in the UAE during the
conception and building of TEAMs,she was the pillar that we all leaned on.
 Most people may not know that she spent many sleepless nights trying to
beat the deadlines that led to the record time of laying the TEAMs Cable."

The full thread can be found starting here
<https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/pipermail/kictanet/2012-July/017336.html>.

I am sure there are many other women in the space who I have missed. And
many silent ones who have impacted members here in one way or another.
These women inspire us. Let's celebrate them!

​Happy Women's Day!

--
Grace Mutung'u
Skype: gracebomu